I was intrigued by the idea of social bookmarking, and was happy to see it included in this class. In playing around with the websites on the sidebar of the wiki, I came upon Delicious. It looked like a cool way to aggregate my bookmarks from my home computer, my work computer, and my boyfriend's computer. I played around with it and fell in love. All of my bookmarks are now in one place, and they're totally organized.
I especially like how tags work in Delicious. In my personal Firefox bookmarks, every bookmark has a folder, or in many cases, a subfolder. I can't just call a blog a blog, it's a fashion blog, a tv blog, etc., and each has it's own subfolder. In Delicious, instead of creating folder upon folder, the tags function so they both separate and coallate bookmarks. It's easy to sort through the tags to find what I want. I also like that there's a Firefox-supported plugin. Instead of copying and pasting links, I just hit the add button. It took a little time to get it set up and organized, but maintenance is very simple.
Overall, a great little piece of social software, especially helpful if you have bookmarks on several computers.
Friday, September 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I didn't know about delicious (however it is written) until getting into this program. It was like a whole new world of computeryness has been shown to me since late 2007...by "young people" and I'm not even old. SO, I can't imagine how people will actually keep up with the introduction of new Internet technologies unless they are so popular and useful that they lend themselves to frequent and continued use. Delicious is one of those that will probably be useful for some time and be incorporated into work and private life.
Ah, bookmarks. I have a very complicated system of categorizing bookmarks, which is great when I run across something that can be slotted into that scheme, but when I run across something "to be read later" (or worse, "to be responded to later"), it totally breaks down. I'm starting to think Del.icio.us is the answer to my bookmark issues...marking bookmarks while keeping them in mind for future action.
@jennifer - I too have a "thing" about bookmarks - all of my bookmarks are categorized in a way that I'm sure only makes sense to me. Delicious really helped me create a greater order within my bookmarking system. It's also great since I use a work computer, my laptop, and my boyfriend's laptop. All of my bookmarks from all three computers are available in one place.
I wrote about delicious too. I had heard people talking about it, but had not used it before myself. I really like the tags and that I can access it from any computer.
Post a Comment