Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Podcasts vs. text blogging

So... I've never really been into podcasts. I subscribe to a couple through iTunes, but I always forget to check the podcast section for updates, so I end up with dozens of unheard episodes, and I just delete them all. The way my iPod connects to my car stereo doesn't allow me to play podcasts from the directory on the iPod; I have to put them into a playlist, which is annoying and I forget about. So, podcasts aren't my modus operandi for blog consuming. For blog producing, podcasts are a nice way to add a personal touch, but I'm self-concious of how my recorded voice sounds (on the phone, I've been mistaken for a teenager; I'm 27). Recording is certainly easier than writing, but there's no "delete" button if I make a mistake; I have to either finagle with the cut function in Audacity or re-record the whole thing. Not a big deal for my 2-3 minute podcasts, but could be an issue if I was using podcasts to teach a class, a la Steve.

I really prefer text blogging, as a producer and consumer. With text blogging as a consumer, I can easily skim a post to find information that I'm interested in, and can easily skip the stuff I don't want to read. As a producer, I find that I have a good level of control over a text-based blog. I can save a half-finished draft to finish and post later, I can easily integrate links and pictures, and in general, have more editorial control.

No comments: