- more customizable, especially if you know HTML
- has an informative and powerful dashboard
- for "serious bloggers" or businesses
- it has a less user-friendly layout, especially if you don't know HTML
- certain upgrades cost money
- has little social networking; their "blog surfer" feature is beta
- not all layouts support widgets; user has to switch to one that does, or manually fix the code
- great for the casual blogger or those unfamiliar with blogging
- owned by Google, which explains the simple, friendly interface
- big on the social networking/entertainment aspect of blogs, especially with widgets and add-ons
- free
- it's not as customizable as WordPress
- it has limited storage for multimedia
- it's easier if you have a Google/Gmail account (for picture sharing, email, chat)
- feels like an "entry-level" blog, while WordPress feels more grown-up and "corporate"
For the casual (or class-required) blogger - Blogger. It's free and easy.
For the discriminating (or smarty-pants) blogger - WordPress. It's customizable and has a more grown-up feel.
3 comments:
I didn't know anything about wordpress prior to reading your blog, but now realize that it is not for me. I am more of a blogger type user. Why? Because I am not smarty pants. I just want to type in my angry missives and let the world have 'em. That's it. Not programming, no fussing, just post, post, post. On a side note, your blog is totally tricked out!
At first, I was of the "type it and leave it" mindset. But once I started playing around with the settings in Wordpress, it was pretty cool to see the level of customization available to those with the time and smarts to do it. If I had time and smarts and a reason to blog, I'd use Wordpress. But I don't, so Blogger it is.
On another side note, my school used to subscribe to this TeacherWeb service for teacher websites. Nobody ever used it, so they discontinued it; now, a few teachers are all up in arms about it. I'm going to suggest Blogger to them as a way to communicate to their students. It's so easy a teacher could do it :P
I really liked your straight-forward comparison. (And really liked the way you wrote it..."on the one hand...but then on the other hand...") Like the Farkas reading this week warns, one really needs to take all these things into consideration before starting a blog and choosing what platform to use. Otherwise, one might pick the "wrong" one and could possibly be doomed to fail.
I think your suggestion for the teachers in your school to start using blogger is a great one. Teachers have enough on their plates to worry about each day. The more simple the tool you give them, the more likely they'll be to use it.
Post a Comment